(If you’re wondering who Mike Landry is, click here…)
My relationship with Christ became the most important thing in my life because my parish made a conscious choice to invest in youth ministry. The desire to offer this experience to others has become the motivation for the more than twenty years I’ve spent serving the Church since that time. Over the last few years, I’ve been privileged to accept invitations to speak or facilitate retreats for churches and schools near my home in Western Canada and as far away as Florida.
It’s likely that if you’re reading this page, you’re looking for someone who can help you with one of your ministry goals – and perhaps you are considering me for that privilege. Hopefully, this page can help answer some of your questions.
If you want to check on my availability or have any other questions before reading on, please click here to get the conversation started. My calendar of recent & upcoming events is also available by clicking here.
How Might I Serve you?
As a speaker, music minister, and retreat leader, I am grateful to craft my time in your school, parish, or other group to specifically meet the needs your event require from a single talk up to a weekend conference or parish mission. Speaking to young people on a regular basis has also allowed me to be comfortable presenting on a variety of topics as they relate to the Church – but here are a few of my favorites:
- Living Third: “I am third” is a lot more than the inspiration for a memorable website. When Catherine Doherty wrote about it in her book, Sobornost, she was offering us a summary of what it means to be a Christian. In this session, we will take an honest assessment of how we’re doing at loving God and neighbor, and will lay out a new (or renewed) plan for immersing ourselves in an authentically Christian life.
- Be Not Afraid: Fear is one of our greatest enemies – and ruins many things in our lives. Perhaps this is why one a recurring theme in scripture – spoken by prophets, angels, and God Himself – is a challenge for us to get beyond fear. Together, we’ll explore the ways that we let fear control us, and more importantly, how God’s perfect love can help us move past those fears.
- A Person First! (Age appropriate presentations for students grade 6 & up on pornography in 1 or 2 parts.) When Jesus encountered the woman caught in adultery (John 8), it seems that everyone had a ‘use’ for her: the man she had been with, the Pharisees who dragged her to Christ, and the bloodthirsty crowd ready to serve as judge, jury, and executioner. Jesus was the one person who saw more than that; He saw her as a person first. The challenge we face in a world that has embraced pornography is seeking ways to do the same – to learn to always regard others, and the gift of our sexuality, as the gift that each one is.
- Take Courage, and Be a Man: Inspired by David’s words from his deathbed to his son, Solomon, I I have shaped a men’s talk focusing on five specific challenges men should embrace in the twenty first century.
- Living in the Word of God: Inspired by a pastoral letter from the Archbishop of Edmonton of the same name, this talk (can be done in one or two parts) is an invitation to read the Bible more often in order to recognize what God’s voice sounds like.
I also often present on the following topics:
- Presentations on the Sacraments: Confirmation, Eucharist, Reconciliation, and Marriage.
- Tips on kick-starting youth ministry in a parish setting.
- Half day, full day, and overnight retreats for schools and youth groups (I speak, lead games, facilitate music ministry and prayer. Contact me if you’d like a sample retreat outline.)
What Can You Expect from me?
- I will reply to your inquiries promptly and professionally to ensure that we are able to know what to expect from one another.
- A dynamic, quality event or presentation that has been crafted to meet the specific needs of your particular group.
- Full contact ministry: when I am at your event, it is my goal to be as present as possible – during meals, free time, and games or sports, I intend to get as involved with the group I serve as I possibly can.
- Follow-up after your event to ensure that I have met your expectations, and a chance for you to let me know any ways that I might improve.
What are other people saying?
Mike serves with the approval of Archbishop Richard Smith, Archbishop of Edmonton. A reference letter confirming this can be found by clicking here.
Bishop Paul Terrio (Bishop of St. Paul, AB): I am presently the Catholic Bishop of St Paul in Alberta but from 2002- 20012 I was pastor of Holy Trinity Parish in Spruce Grove, Alberta. In that latter position I hired Mike Landry to serve as Youth Minister for the parish in 2006 and we worked together until 2012 at my episcopal appointment. I am happy to say the Mike not only ‘did the job’ but that he developed and expanded our Parish outreach to young people both within the parish schools and beyond them. Mike is a very dedicated and steady worker but above all he is an ardent witness to the Gospel especially in it’s call to our young people. It is therefore with confidence and joy that I recommend Mike Landry to your good attention.
Fr. Cristino Bouvette (associate pastor, St. Michael’s Parish, Calgary AB): Mike has an engaging style that captures the attention of students immediately. Our parish youth group was blessed to have him in to speak on the topic of masculinity and knowing how to seek help when we need it. He had our boys in stitches at one minute and very contemplative the next- a sign of a gifted communicator. His examples are relevant and relatable to young people and the application of his insights are concrete. I look forward to hearing from him again!
Peter van Kampen (youth ministry coordinator, St. Dominic’s School, Rocky Mountain House, AB): Mike is funny, dynamic, and engaging. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the High School students responded to his interactive presentation! And he brings a talent for music, an authentic faith, and a message the strikes the appropriate balance of engaging humor and hard hitting truths. We will definitely be getting Mike into our schools again!
Glen Argan, (Former Editor, Western Catholic Reporter): “Mike has made a massive contribution to the Catholic Church in the Edmonton Archdiocese through his lengthy dedication to youth ministry and working with young people in Catholic schools. He is clearly motivated by a deep and abiding faith in Jesus Christ, which he conveys by his words, but especially through his actions. In my 30 years of working in the archdiocese, Mike stands head and shoulders above the crowd in his ability to help make faith happen in the hearts of others.”
Jon Courchene (Executive Director, Face to Face Ministries): Mike Landry has been speaking at FacetoFace Ministries events for the past 4 years. The youth look forward to his keynotes each year. Mike draws in his audience through current movies, music, etc, through his humor, and through his authenticity. He is not afraid to proclaim the truth and leave people challenged either. At one moment you are on the edge of your seat laughing, and the next you are inspired to take the next step in your walk with Christ. I recommend Mike wholeheartedly for any youth event.
Louisa Gietz (Youth Ministry Coordinator, Holy Family Parish, Medicine Hat): “…you gave the kids someone to look up to as a very real person walking in faith they can identify with. I don’t know how you normally do retreats, but I think being involved as much as you could also was a great witness of really caring – the kids noticed. “
Laura Smith (Okanagan Catholic Family Camp): “…all I can say is you were great to work with. I felt that the pre-camp planning was smooth and easy. I also really enjoyed your talks at camp, as did many of the families that attended. This was clear from the positive feedback we received from the participants. I could tell the children / youth also really enjoyed how music / multi-media was tied into your presentations. You did a great job both times you attended our camp.”
Have any questions? Please click here to get the conversation started.